20 August 2010

Gnocchi

Ah gnocchi, the simplest little pasta going.  I remember back when I would buy vacuum sealed packages of it.  My life changed watching Michael Smith make it on one of his Food Network shows.  Even before he was finished making the gnocchi, I was in the kitchen baking a potato.  I didn't believe it could be that easy.  Then I saw her face, now I'm a believer.

Potato Gnocchi
What you need
  • potato
  • flour
  • egg
  • salt
Start boiling a big pot of water
Take a baked potato and mash it up (I've also nuked a potato.  I like to leave the skin on 'cause it's good for you)
Add an egg and some salt.  Keep mashing
Start adding flour until you get the consistency of non-sticky dough
Bust up into manageable pieces
Roll on a floured surface into a snake
Chop up the snake into bite sized pieces
Drop one at a time into the boiling water
When they rise they're done
Toss in some sauce and eat them.

Now I went as far as getting a gnocchi board

So when you have little bite sized pieces you roll them on the board before you plop them in the water to get little groves on each gnoccho to help grab onto sauce.

            comme ca








Now potato gnocchi is like carb on carb so I soon moved into ricotta gnocchi but I wouldn't just stop there.  Instead of potato one could puree some onion or celery use parsnips, turnip or celariac.  I just had an idea for some roasted garlic gnocchi that I have to try.

As for the sauce... whatever you want - a pesto, tomato, brown butter sage, cheese, mushroom pick one.

1 comment: